How to Opt-Out of Pre-Approved Credit Offers
November 11, 2007
All those pre-approved credit card offers you get in the mail can be more than just junk mail. They are a favorite way identity thieves get accounts in your name.
Most of us really wouldn’t even think of dumpster diving for anything let alone papers. But it’s a common way thieves get their info to steal identities.
Sure, you can shred them. That’s really important. If you don’t have a shredder, get out your scissors.
Here’s some ways thieves can get those pre-approved offers even if you’re diligent about shredding everything:
- Thieves will sometimes steal out of mailboxes while you’re at work or school.
- Your mail can be sent to your old address
- Your mail can be delivered to the wrong address
The safest way to deal with this is to opt-out of all pre-approved offers.
- Online: https://www.optoutprescreen.com
- Phone: 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688)
You’ll need to do this every 5 years. You’ll be glad you did, trust me.
If you decide you want to opt-in and get the offers again, use the same website of phone number. Card companies will be happy to put you back on their list.